I love my two year old Android tablet. It is an inexpensive 7″ Acer tablet that fits in my hand beautifully, and has worked pretty much flawlessly in the time that I have owned it. And I am always impressed by the endless availability of excellent Apps for Android devices.
So why do I now own an HP Stream 8 tablet as well?
About two weeks ago I saw an ad for the HP Stream 8 for $179. A couple of things immediately caught my eye:
- It is Windows 8.1 (not Windows RT), so any Windows software can be installed.
- It comes with FREE 4G access for the lifetime of the device from T-Mobile (only 200MB per month, but hey, this is better than nothing).
- Generally, excellent reviews on Amazon.
I purchased the tablet from Amazon, and really do love this tablet for a few reasons:
- It is completely compatible with my other Windows 8 devices (desktop and laptop computer).
- It has a fully functioning Microsoft Office (I am writing this post using the tablet and my Bluetooth keyboard).
- It is much faster than my other tablet for using the Internet.
- It has a really nice display (I’ve watched a couple of movies and have enjoyed the up-close-and-personal feel).
This device has changed my perspective to some degree. I have always believed that there is plenty of room in our evolving world for competing technologies, such as laptops and tablets. I still do believe this whole heartedly. But now I also see the appeal of a device that lives comfortably in both technology worlds. I did not really expect to so enjoy what is essentially a tiny laptop. But I do!
And BTW, I just checked, and it is now available at Amazon for $149!