I have thoroughly enjoyed getting up and running with WordPress over the past week or two. Here are a few tips and suggestions for getting your blogging going with some style, based upon my recent experiences with WordPress.
- Create your WordPress account.
- Decide on some real basics, like the name of your blog and its URL.
- Pick your Theme. For example, I chose the Academica Theme for now. Try a few different themes to see what appeals to you.
- Get comfortable with the Dashboard. This is basically the command center for a ton of WordPress options and features. You can get to the Dashboard from the Navigation Bar at the top of the screen.
- Post your first blog! Of course, don’t hesitate to do some formatting on your new post to make it look good, much as you would do with a Word document.
- From the Appearance Menu on the Dashboard, modify your Background with an image or with a color that suits you.
- From the Appearance Menu, add some Widgets to your blog. Widgets let you add meaningful information to your blog. For example, I have added Widgets to display my categories, my blog calendar, and my contact info.
- Also from the Appearance Menu, modify your Menus, for example by adding meaningful links or pages to help your blog readers navigate around.
- From the Appearance Menu again, decide if you want Mobile themes enabled, which will optimize the display of your blog for mobile devices.
- From the Settings Menu on the Dashboard, head to the General Settings, where you can specify options such as your time zone and your date/time formats, as well as uploading a blog icon.
- And also from the Settings Menu, use the Reading Settings to control how your blog will look to your readers.
Of course there are many, many other important features and options, but this list offers a few suggestions to get started blogging with WordPress and add a little style to your posts.